Cured Short Rib Stromboli
Author: John Gutekanst
Recipe type: sandwich
- 9 ounce dough ball
- 2 ounces fresh (or frozen) spinach (Frozen looks better when cooked.)
- 3 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ ounce onion sautéed in BBQ sauce
- Cured short ribs (See recipe)
- Using a rolling pin or sheeter, flatten dough out into a 9-inch by 11-inch square.
- Place the 11-inch side horizontally in front of you.
- Place fresh spinach on the square, then the Gruyere and short rib pieces.
- Squeeze 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce over the cheese.
- Make sure you leave ¼ inch from the top and bottom edge.
- Roll up the ingredients fairly tightly. When you get a nice roll, seal the ends.
- Cut two small slits 2 to 3 inches from each end. This will let steam escape and afford a hole to place the bones.
- Either place plastic wrap over the stromboli or place in a proofer.
- Holding the stromboli for 15 minutes in a warm environment will ensure the dough rises appropriately for an even cook.
- Egg-wash the entire outside of the ‘boli and place in a 450 F oven for 14 to 18 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. (The egg wash will ensure a nice shine. But if you plan to top with olive oil and Parmesan, don’t bother with the egg wash.)
- Cut both ends off to expose the roulade in the middle and serve immediately.