Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
Serves: 3 ½ to 4 ½ cups
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups milk, depending on thickness desired
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauté pan over medium heat (do not let the butter brown).
- When butter starts to froth, add flour and mix well with wire whisk to make a roux.
- Let roux cook, stirring constantly, until golden.
- Add 3 cups milk all at once, stirring vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Bring sauce to a boil.
- Adjust thickness with more milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The consistency of the sauce for the pizza should be close to that of yogurt: loose, spreads evenly