Recipe courtesy of John Gutekanst, Avalanche Pizza in Athens, Ohio
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Sauces
- 2 pounds eye of round roast, trimmed of all fat
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cloves diced garlic
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- Zest from 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes
- 5 four-inch stalks of rosemary, stripped and rough chopped
- 5 ounces course sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a heavy plastic bag and mix with your hand. Cut the eye of round lengthwise in half if you want. (I’ve found that this makes the meat area smaller and is only to expedite the cure.)
- Immerse the meat in the bag to marinate for seven days in the refrigerator or until the meat feels as if it has hardened.
- Remove from the marinade, rinse under cold water and wipe the meat dry. Let sit at room temperature for two hours to dry.
- Place in a double wrap of cheesecloth tied with kitchen twine.
- Hang the meat in a dry, airy place with a temperature of 55 to 58 F to cure. A white wine cooler (the best curing cabinet ever) is a great choice for this.
- Cure for two to three weeks for the meat to lose 30 percent of its bulk.
- Slice thin and serve as you would Prosciutto di Parma with Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon, apples, arugula or with just a splash of olive oil and pepper.
Return to Makeline Marinades