Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups canned plum tomatoes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, chopped coarse
- Enough cooked pasta for 6 servings (figuring 2-3 ounces uncooked per serving)
- In a large heavy saute pan, saute the garlic in the oil over moderate heat for 2 min.
- Put the tomatoes & their juices into a missing bowl & crush them with your hands.
- Add the tomatoes to the saucepan.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the sauce at a steady simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-25 min. (keep crushing the tomatoes with a fork or heavy spoon to form pulp) or until the sauce has reduced to about 2-1/2 cups.
- Add the basil to the sauce & stir to combine.
- Divide the pasta among heated pasta serving bowls.
- Ladle some of the sauce over each serving.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of fresh mozzarella over the sauce.
- Serve at one.
- Pass grated Parmesan cheese separately for additional flavor.