Shredded BBQ Pork for Pizza or Sandwiches
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3-4 pound pork butt or pork shoulder
- Puree all ingredients, except the pork, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Put pureed ingredients and pork in a large pot.
- Add 1 quart of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil an simmer, covered (turning frequently), for about 2 hours, or until meat pulls apart easily when prodded with a fork.
- Remove from heat and cool the pork in the sauce.
- Remove the pork from the sauce & shred.
- Should you care to take the time for an extra step, reduce the sauce by two-thirds and mix some of it with a basic bottled barbecue sauce.
- Serve on buns or bread of choice.
- NOTE: This recipe could also be used on a pizza.