Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled & cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed or minced
- 2 cups pizza sauce or all-purpose crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup Kalamata or other Greek black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 14-inch pizza shells
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Optional grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- In a large saute pan set over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil for 1 min.
- Add eggplant & garlic.
- Stir & cook for about 5 min.
- Add tomatoes, olives, capers & oregano.
- Simer sauce until it is reduced slightly, about 10 min.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Allow sauce to cool for at least 20 mi. (can be prepped well ahead & held).
- Stretch or press the two pizza shells to suggested size.
- Ladle half the sauce over each shell.
- Divide the cheese equally between the two pizzas.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan over each pizza. Bake.
- Cool slightly before cutting.
- Alternatively, the dough can be pressed into a rectangular pan and then cut into squares after baking.