- 15 pounds of chopped meat, rendered in the oven
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 3 pounds onions, peeled and diced
- 1 cup garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 1 #10 can of ground tomatoes
- 1 #10 can of tomato puree
Instructions 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Spread the chopped meat out in a single layer on three sheet pans. Roast covered for approximately 15 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink.
3. Drain the meat or fat through a strainer or a colander.
4. Heat the oil in a large (24-inch) rondo (or other large low pan). Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, for approximately 15-25 minutes, or until lightly colored and tender.
5. Add the meat, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and the tomatoes. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
6. Simmer, stirring for time to time, to prevent scorching, for about 45 minutes.
7. Taste, and correct seasoning-if necessary.