Author: Pizza Today
- 15 pounds of chopped meat, rendered in the oven
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 3 pounds onions, peeled and diced
- 1 cup garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 1 #10 can of ground tomatoes
- 1 #10 can of tomato puree
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spread the chopped meat out in a single layer on three sheet pans.
- Roast covered for approximately 15 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Drain the meat or fat through a strainer or a colander.
- Heat the oil in a large (24-inch) rondo (or other large low pan).
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, for approximately 15-25 minutes, or until lightly colored and tender.
- Add the meat, cumin, chili powder, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and the tomatoes.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Simmer, stirring for time to time, to prevent scorching, for about 45 minutes.
- Taste, and correct seasoning-if necessary.