Spiedini alla Romana
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 1 sub sandwich roll or torpedo roll that measures 10-12 inches long
- 5 slices of mozzarella cheese, about 2x2 inches and ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano (or Parmesan) cheese
- Square off the ends of the roll.
- Cut five slits on the diagonal into the roll, but do not cut all the way through, to form a pocket for the cheese.
- Insert the slices of mozzarella into the bread pockets.
- Brush the top of the bread with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle on the Romano cheese.
- Bake at low temperature (or under the broiler) until the cheese begins to malt (but not melted entirely).
- Serve with optional anchovy sauce.