Sweet Italian Sausage
Author: Pizza Today
- 1 ½ pounds pork shoulder
- ½ pound pork fat
- 2 ice cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 50 inches natural pork casing
- Grind pork and pork fat together (add ice cubes during grinding to keep meat cold if using an electric grinder attachment or food processor).
- Add salt.
- Mix well.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add to the ground pork and combine well.
- Refrigerate, covered for at least two hours.
- Sauté a small amount of sausage in a lightly oiled frying pan until it's cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Use sausage as is for pizza topping. If stuffing the sausage into casings, slip the wet casings onto a hand-stuffing funnel or the stuffer attachment of a meat grinder.
- Tie off into two-inch long links.
- Sausage will keep in cooler for four days, or frozen for longer periods.