- 1 ½ pounds pork shoulder
- ½ pound pork fat
- 2 ice cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 50 inches natural pork casing
Instructions 1. Grind pork and pork fat together (add ice cubes during grinding to keep meat cold if using an electric grinder attachment or food processor). Add salt. Mix well.
2. Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Add to the ground pork and combine well. Refrigerate, covered for at least two hours.
3. Sauté a small amount of sausage in a lightly oiled frying pan until it’s cooked through. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
4. Use sausage as is for pizza topping. If stuffing the sausage into casings, slip the wet casings onto a hand-stuffing funnel or the stuffer attachment of a meat grinder. Tie off into two-inch long links. Refrigerate. Sausage will keep in cooler for four days, or frozen for longer periods.