- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast or 1/2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ounces plum tomatoes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons oregano
Instructions 1) In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let sit for 10 minutes. Add the olive oil and stir to combine.
2) In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture. Mix well and knead until the dough is smooth and soft (about 6 minutes).
3) Divide the dough into two equal pieces and ball each piece. Place the balls of dough on a lightly floured baking sheet or sheet pan. Dust the tops lightly with flour. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Let rise for at least 2 hours.
4) Lift each ball of dough from the baking sheet and press each into a lightly oiled 10-inch round baking pan that has 1-inch-high sides. Rub the top of the dough with olive oil. Cover the pans and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
5) With stiff fingers, punch holes in the top of the dough using two fingers.
6) Add crushed plum tomatoes and oregano.
7) Bake the focaccia in a preheated 425°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.