There’s nothing like sitting down with passionate pizzeria operators and learning all about their pizzerias. At Pizza Today, we explore the ins and outs of the entire operation during our pizzeria visits. And my favorite part of those conversations is when I ask, “What’s your origin story?”
Even among similar concepts, each owner offers such a unique history of how their pizzeria began. No two are ever the same. There is an excitement and a fire that shows through as they share their story.
Origin stories are not just for super heroes. A compelling origin story is an important component of your business. Not only does it inform your target public what your pizzeria is about, but it also adds a human/personal interest connection for your customers. Let them know you. Use your origin story to separate yourself from your competitors.
You may think, “I just have your typical pizzeria.” There is nothing typical about business ownership. Pull out a piece of paper and answer the following questions:
- Why did you open a pizzeria and what inspired that move?
- What’s interesting about how your pizzeria was founded?
- What’s interesting about you (and founding partners)? What’s interesting about your backgrounds?
- How did your pizzeria get its name?
- What is your company’s culture?
- What are your pizzeria’s values?
- What makes your pizza unique?
- What are the key moments in your pizzeria’s history that were monumental to its success?
- What are your goals, pertaining to your customers?
I guarantee there is a great origin story in your answers to these questions. Your pizzeria’s character, mission and values will shine through.
Share your origin story on your Web site, through social media, in your store, with local media and even on your menus. It can be more than in paragraph form. Give life to your history and story with videos and photos of the early days, your build out, founders, unique qualities and inspiration behind the brand, etc.
If you already proudly display your origin story and you haven’t taken a look at it in a few years, it may be time to freshen it up.
Your pizzeria evolves and changes so think of your story as a living, breathing part of your business.
Do you have a origin story video? Share a link to it below.