During 30-plus years in the pizza business, Dan Collier has advanced from delivery driver to
director of operations for 20 units of Rusty’s Pizza to rebranding as an independent in 2012. He now has eight PizzaMan Dan’s stores in the Los Angeles area. Dan is a regular speaker at Pizza Expo and, with Glenn Cybulski, co-presents The Million-Dollar Pizzeria X 3, a workshop on Monday, March 27.
PizzaMan Dan’s Top 10 List:
10. Keep honest people honest. 80 percent of employees are honest. The rest are on the verge of honesty, provided you keep temptation away by implementing cash control and by monitoring food and labor costs. That and the belief that the last one you caught stealing is sleeping with the fishes.
9. Don’t mistake laziness for incompetency. Smart, lazy employees will figure out a way to do it easier and better. And there is always an easier, better way to do it.
8. One-on-ones. Meet once per month for two hours with each of your direct reports. Here’s how I know I’m listening to them: Their lips are moving and mine are not.
7. Structure the pay of your top people so that 25 percent of salary is bonus based on results.
6. Speed of the leader is speed of the team. Set the example. Pizzaman, heal thyself.
5. The most important item an owner can put in his restaurant is his shadow. OK, maybe also a video camera or two.
4. Market to your existing customers. They will handle marketing to everyone else. It’s like a legitimate pyramid scheme.
3. Listen to your customers. (Except the guy who tells you to give away free pizza.) They are your best consultants and offer their services for free.
2. The customer is always right. Even when you think they are wrong. Even when you know they are wrong. Get over it already.
(And the number ONE most important thing I’ve learned in the pizza business is:)
1. Marketing is everything and everything is marketing. Customers are the only ingredient pizzerias can’t do without. That and maybe anchovies.
April 18, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Create buzz with creative challenges This Sunday, John’s Incredible Pizza Company will host a pizza eating competition. While that event alone is nothing new, the California-based buffet and game company took it to a new level: the even is sanctioned by Major League Eating (MLE), the governing body that, according to its Web site, oversees… Read More ›
April 17, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Q&A with Jeff Bach on the creative pizza menu at Ian’s Jeff Bach is the Mad Scientist of Pizza Toppings at Ian’s Pizza. No, really. That is his title at the Wisconsin-based pizza company with six locations in Madison and Milwaukee, Denver and Seattle. Ian’s is known for its constant rotation of unique and… Read More ›
April 11, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Brothers Nick & Jared Wayne own A Tavola (a Neo-Neapolitan pizzeria with two locations) and sister concept Taglio (a Roman-style pizzeria) in Cincinnati, along with a gelato shop (La Grassa). A Tavola was featured in the April issue of Pizza Today. Here they sit down with Editor-in-Chief Jeremy White to further discuss their business. Jeremy: So… Read More ›