During 30-plus years in the pizza business, Dan Collier has advanced from delivery driver to
director of operations for 20 units of Rusty’s Pizza to rebranding as an independent in 2012. He now has eight PizzaMan Dan’s stores in the Los Angeles area. Dan is a regular speaker at Pizza Expo and, with Glenn Cybulski, co-presents The Million-Dollar Pizzeria X 3, a workshop on Monday, March 27.
PizzaMan Dan’s Top 10 List:
10. Keep honest people honest. 80 percent of employees are honest. The rest are on the verge of honesty, provided you keep temptation away by implementing cash control and by monitoring food and labor costs. That and the belief that the last one you caught stealing is sleeping with the fishes.
9. Don’t mistake laziness for incompetency. Smart, lazy employees will figure out a way to do it easier and better. And there is always an easier, better way to do it.
8. One-on-ones. Meet once per month for two hours with each of your direct reports. Here’s how I know I’m listening to them: Their lips are moving and mine are not.
7. Structure the pay of your top people so that 25 percent of salary is bonus based on results.
6. Speed of the leader is speed of the team. Set the example. Pizzaman, heal thyself.
5. The most important item an owner can put in his restaurant is his shadow. OK, maybe also a video camera or two.
4. Market to your existing customers. They will handle marketing to everyone else. It’s like a legitimate pyramid scheme.
3. Listen to your customers. (Except the guy who tells you to give away free pizza.) They are your best consultants and offer their services for free.
2. The customer is always right. Even when you think they are wrong. Even when you know they are wrong. Get over it already.
(And the number ONE most important thing I’ve learned in the pizza business is:)
1. Marketing is everything and everything is marketing. Customers are the only ingredient pizzerias can’t do without. That and maybe anchovies.
August 15, 2017 | Videos
Jay Jerrier, owner of Cane Rosso in Dallas, Texas, answers the question: how do you train your pizza makers? Cane Rosso has been named Pizza Today’s 2017 Independent Pizzeria of the Year. “How do You Train Your Pizza Makers?” is the second of a three-part series featuring Cane Rosso. Read More ›
August 11, 2017 | Press Releases
Donate school supplies, receive a free slice of pizza at Greenville Avenue Pizza Company What: On Thursday, August 17th, Greenville Avenue Pizza Company is hosting its 5th annual “Slices for Supplies” event, a charitable initiative to benefit a local DISD elementary school. Pizza eaters everywhere are invited to join in by swinging by GAPCo anytime… Read More ›
National Pizza Franchise Brings on New Franchisee to Further Develop Southwestern Presence MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. (August 11, 2017) – Hungry Howie’s Pizza, originator of the Flavored Crust® pizza, has inked a 20-store multi-unit agreement in Arizona with plans to open the new locations within the next five years. In addition, franchisee Fawzi Simon has also… Read More ›