During 30-plus years in the pizza business, Dan Collier has advanced from delivery driver to
director of operations for 20 units of Rusty’s Pizza to rebranding as an independent in 2012. He now has eight PizzaMan Dan’s stores in the Los Angeles area. Dan is a regular speaker at Pizza Expo and, with Glenn Cybulski, co-presents The Million-Dollar Pizzeria X 3, a workshop on Monday, March 27.
PizzaMan Dan’s Top 10 List:
10. Keep honest people honest. 80 percent of employees are honest. The rest are on the verge of honesty, provided you keep temptation away by implementing cash control and by monitoring food and labor costs. That and the belief that the last one you caught stealing is sleeping with the fishes.
9. Don’t mistake laziness for incompetency. Smart, lazy employees will figure out a way to do it easier and better. And there is always an easier, better way to do it.
8. One-on-ones. Meet once per month for two hours with each of your direct reports. Here’s how I know I’m listening to them: Their lips are moving and mine are not.
7. Structure the pay of your top people so that 25 percent of salary is bonus based on results.
6. Speed of the leader is speed of the team. Set the example. Pizzaman, heal thyself.
5. The most important item an owner can put in his restaurant is his shadow. OK, maybe also a video camera or two.
4. Market to your existing customers. They will handle marketing to everyone else. It’s like a legitimate pyramid scheme.
3. Listen to your customers. (Except the guy who tells you to give away free pizza.) They are your best consultants and offer their services for free.
2. The customer is always right. Even when you think they are wrong. Even when you know they are wrong. Get over it already.
(And the number ONE most important thing I’ve learned in the pizza business is:)
1. Marketing is everything and everything is marketing. Customers are the only ingredient pizzerias can’t do without. That and maybe anchovies.
February 23, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
A commentary by Editor-in-Chief Jeremy White I used to think delegating was a task for the lazy. You know, if you want the job done right, do it yourself. Right? Turns out that isn’t always the best advice. Your team can accomplish so much more as a cohesive unit than any one individual can accomplish…. Read More ›
February 22, 2018 | Pizza Expo News
Our first episode of the Pizza Expo Update Show will get ready for International Pizza Expo next month. Managing Editor Mandy Detwiler sits down with show director Bill Oakley to give you the skinny on what to expect on the show floor. Bill outlines this year’s show floor changes. Pizza Expo will take place in… Read More ›
Find out what to expect on the show floor at International Pizza Expo, March 20-22. Managing Editor Mandy Detwiler interviews show director Bill Oakley on show floor changes and its new location in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center. Read More ›