If you were in Las Vegas, then you know that International Pizza Expo® was THE place to be. You could feel the energy and pizza enthusiasm from the moment you walked into the Las Vegas Convention Center.
The Traditional Division of the International Pizza Challenge™ had the following regional winners and wild cards that advanced to the finals:
- Michael Stevens, Pallo Mesa Pizza, Arroyo, CA – Southwest Region
- Thiago Vasconcelos, Tony’s Pizza Napoletana, San Francisco, CA – Northwest Region
- Javier Valdez, Joe’s New York Pizza, Henderson, NV – Mid-America Region
- Leah Scurto, Pizza My Heart, Las Gatos, CA – Wild Card
- Danilo Lupo, Pizzeria Defina, Toronto, ON – International Region
- Bruno DiFabio, Renapoli, Old Greenwich, CT – Northeast Region
- Jane Mines, Nima’s Pizza & More, Inc., Gassville, AR – Southeast Region
- Rick Nixon, Itza Ristorante & Pizzeria, Nelson, B.C. – Canada
The Non-Traditional Division of the International Pizza Challenge™ had the following regional winners and wild cards that advanced to the finals:
- Joleen Piser, AJ Barile’s Chicago Pizza, Yucaipa, CA – Southwest Region
- Tim Hoffman, Barros Pizza, Phoenix, AZ – Northwest Region
- Melissa Rickman, Wholly Stromboli, Fort Lupton, CO – Mid-America Region
- Lars Smith, Pizza My Heart, Los Gatos, CA – Wild Card
- Doug Ferriman, Crazy Dough’s Pizza, Boston, MA – Northeast Region
- Floriana Pastore, Italy – International Region
- Michael LaMarca, Master Pizza, Mayfield Heights, OH – Southeast Region
- Rocco Agostino, Pizzeria Libretto, Toronto, Ontario – Canada
Thiago Vasconcelos won the Traditional Division and $7,500, Floriana Pastore won Non-Traditional Division and $7,500, Jeff Smokevitch, Brown Dog Pizza, Telluride, Colorado, won the American-Pan Division, and Michele D’Amelio, Pizzeria Testa, Liono (AV), Italy, won the Italian-Style Division and $4,000.
Following the finals of the International Pizza Challenge, the winners in each division squared off in the Pizza Maker of the Year competition. Contestants were presented with a table of ingredients from which to choose. There were no restrictions for toppings, but all contestants had to use the secret ingredient — Kalamata Olives. Floriana Pastore, our first female champion, walked away with the title of World Champion Pizza Maker of the Year and an additional $5,000. And special applause for Theo Kalogeracos, winner of the Best of the Best competition among past world champions took home $2,500 and the title of Master Pizza Maker of the Year.
Start making plans now to attend International Pizza Expo® 2014, which will again be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center March 24 – 27.
Executive Vice President
June 12, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
Representatives from Guinness World Records were on hand to certify USA’s longest pizza record attempt at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California on June 10th, 2017. The finished pizza stretched 6,333 feet. That is nearly 1.2 miles long. The previous record of 6,082 feet was made in Naples, Italy in 2016. A team of pizza… Read More ›
June 8, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
Attend the premier event for pizzeria operators and Italian restaurateurs who are looking to source ingredients, equipment and supplies. Registration is now open for Pizza & Pasta Northeast, the largest pizza and pasta conference and tradeshow on the East Coast. The first-ever Pizza & Pasta Northeast will feature more than 200 booths of products and… Read More ›
June 6, 2017 | Press Releases
Celebrations, Giveaways and Family-friendly activities Throughout Weekend Tuesday, June 6, 2017 – Fredericksburg, VA – The Church Restaurant Group, LLC announced today the opening of the first Malawi’s Pizza – Pizza with a Purpose® franchise on the eastern seaboard with grand opening celebrations beginning Friday, June 23 through Sunday, June 25, 2017. The fast-casual gourmet… Read More ›