The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Surveys Research Group has presented findings on the “Consumption of Pizza” in America this month.
This report presents results on American pizza consumption among U.S. children and adults during 2007-2010 by gender, age, and race/ethnicity. Highlights from the USDA report include:
- About 1 in 8 Americans consumed pizza on any given day. More than 1 in 4 males, ages 6-19 years, consumed pizza on a day.
- For adults, whites were more likely to consume pizza than either blacks or Hispanics; for children, there were no differences by race/ethnicity.
- On the day consumed, pizza provided about one-fourth of the total daily energy.
- When consumed pizza contributed about one-third of the daily intakes for sodium and calcium, and more than half of the daily intake for lycopene.
- For adults, the majority of pizza was consumed at dinner. For children, the distribution was similar for lunch and dinner.
The study shows that 13 percent of the U.S. population consumed pizza on any given day.
The percent varies depending on age range: 22 percent for older children (6-11 years) and adolescents (12-19 years) to less than six percent for seniors (60 years and older).
View the report: Consumption of Pizza.
Look for our analysis of the USDA report in upcoming Pizza Headlines.
January 12, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
I dip, you dip, we dip! A tantalizing dip is a great way to provide instant gratification. Many can be made ahead of time and simply heated or plated. A favorite in Pizza Today’s home base of Louisville, Kentucky is beer cheese. Now, there’s debate on whether it should be served hot or cold. But… Read More ›
January 11, 2017 | Press Releases
Dallas, Texas – RAVE Restaurant Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:RAVE) today announced that the Board of Directors has named Scott Crane as Chief Executive Officer, effective today. Crane succeeds Interim CEO Clinton J. Coleman, who will remain in his role as a member of the Board, where he has served since 2007. “Scott is dynamic leader… Read More ›
January 4, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
As a new year rang in, the food industry made its predictions of restaurant trends that will sweep the nation, from rising concepts to customer-facing tech and hot menu items. How do these forecasts correlate to the pizza industry? What’s going to be this year’s hot pizza style? What are your predictions? Let’s take a… Read More ›