The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Surveys Research Group has presented findings on the “Consumption of Pizza” in America this month.
This report presents results on American pizza consumption among U.S. children and adults during 2007-2010 by gender, age, and race/ethnicity. Highlights from the USDA report include:
- About 1 in 8 Americans consumed pizza on any given day. More than 1 in 4 males, ages 6-19 years, consumed pizza on a day.
- For adults, whites were more likely to consume pizza than either blacks or Hispanics; for children, there were no differences by race/ethnicity.
- On the day consumed, pizza provided about one-fourth of the total daily energy.
- When consumed pizza contributed about one-third of the daily intakes for sodium and calcium, and more than half of the daily intake for lycopene.
- For adults, the majority of pizza was consumed at dinner. For children, the distribution was similar for lunch and dinner.
The study shows that 13 percent of the U.S. population consumed pizza on any given day.
The percent varies depending on age range: 22 percent for older children (6-11 years) and adolescents (12-19 years) to less than six percent for seniors (60 years and older).
View the report: Consumption of Pizza.
Look for our analysis of the USDA report in upcoming Pizza Headlines.
February 15, 2018 | Pizza Expo News
By Jeremy White We get it — you walk into the Las Vegas Convention Center in March and see pandemonium. There’s a huge line waiting on the International Pizza Expo show floor to open. You just got your official attendee badge and can’t decide whether to head upstairs to sit in on seminars or to… Read More ›
Pizza Today Associate Editor Denise Greer takes you through some amazing features of the Pizza Expo App that will make your show experience. There are several awesome features that you should get to know before International Pizza Expo (March 19-22, 2018) including: My Planner, the Login feature, Locate Me Showfloor Map, Show Specials, Product Galleries… Read More ›
February 13, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Pizzerias Show Valentine’s Day Insta Love Tag #pizzatoday on your heart-shaped pizza shares. Need a Valentine’s Day pizza how-to tutorial, Managing Editor and Food Stylist Mandy Detwiler has you covered. Take a tour of heart-shaped pizzas we came across on Instagram below. How to say “I love you” 🍕 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ❤️VALENTINE’S DAY SPECIAL ❤️ 📍:… Read More ›