The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Surveys Research Group has presented findings on the “Consumption of Pizza” in America this month.
This report presents results on American pizza consumption among U.S. children and adults during 2007-2010 by gender, age, and race/ethnicity. Highlights from the USDA report include:
- About 1 in 8 Americans consumed pizza on any given day. More than 1 in 4 males, ages 6-19 years, consumed pizza on a day.
- For adults, whites were more likely to consume pizza than either blacks or Hispanics; for children, there were no differences by race/ethnicity.
- On the day consumed, pizza provided about one-fourth of the total daily energy.
- When consumed pizza contributed about one-third of the daily intakes for sodium and calcium, and more than half of the daily intake for lycopene.
- For adults, the majority of pizza was consumed at dinner. For children, the distribution was similar for lunch and dinner.
The study shows that 13 percent of the U.S. population consumed pizza on any given day.
The percent varies depending on age range: 22 percent for older children (6-11 years) and adolescents (12-19 years) to less than six percent for seniors (60 years and older).
View the report: Consumption of Pizza.
Look for our analysis of the USDA report in upcoming Pizza Headlines.
April 27, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
Washington, D.C. – April 27, 2017 – The American Pizza Community (APC) salutes National Small Business Week with stories of pizza store owners who started out small and how the industry supports and provides opportunities for ownership. Fifty-two percent of the nearly 74,000 pizza stores nationwide are independently-owned and operated, according to Pizza Monthly Quarterly’s… Read More ›
April 26, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-inspired pizza features 101 cheeses On Sunday, April 23, Scottie Rivera and his crew at Scottie’s Pizza Parlor in Portland, Oregon, set a new world record with its Centouno Formaggio (101 Cheese Pizza). The pizza has been submitted to Guinness World Records for the “Most Cheeses on a Pizza”. “This pizza is inspired… Read More ›
April 10, 2017 | Pizza Headlines
Firenza Pizza & Persona Wood Fired Pizzeria – two restaurants known for their high quality and exceptional pizza product – are joining forces to become one! It’s the best of both worlds as the two merge together under the Firenza Pizza name in Spring of 2017. Sarasota, Florida, April 4, 2017 (Newswire.com) – At Firenza,… Read More ›