Fried Caprese Nuggets
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 large summer tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh mozzarella, torn in small strips
- 5 to 7 fresh basil leaves torn in pieces
- 10 to 12 ounces of your proprietary pizza dough
- Coarse sea salt as needed
- Shaved or grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Thin sliced Prosciutto di Parma or other charcuterie
- Toss the tomato, one tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, mozzarella and basil in a bowl.
- Heat vegetable or (preferably peanut) oil to 350 F.
- Roll out the dough to ¼-inch thick and then cut with a pizza cutter. (For a more
- elegant edge cut, use a serrated dough cutter or a calzone crimper.)
- Fry the pieces until golden brown. This should not take long, as they will puff up right away.
- When the dough is done, toss the other ingredients with the dough, letting the mozzarella lightly melt.
- Add more extra virgin olive oil if needed, and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Serve with prosciutto di Parma slices or salami for a full entrée.