Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 6 medium-size bell peppers, washed, tops cut off, cut in half lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the onions and celery.
- Cook and stir until the onions become limp.
- Add the beef, pork, parsley and pepper.
- Cook and stir until the meats are no longer red, breaking up any large clumps.
- Drain excess oil from pan and cool the mixture a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, the meat mixture, the cheese and the eggs.
- Mix until well blended. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Lightly oil a large baking pan.
- Stuff the pepper halves with an equal amount of the rice and meat mixture.
- Set the peppers into the baking pan in one layer.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the peppers.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place the peppers in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil.
- Test the peppers to make sure they are soft and cooked through.
- Serve (one half or two halves, relative to portion sizing you choose) with additional warm sauce on the plate and grated Parmesan on the side.