Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 6 portobello mushrooms, stemmed, tops brushed clean, set aside
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella
- In a large saute pan, warm the olive oil over med.-high heat.
- Add onions, sausage & bell pepper.
- Cook & stir until pink is gone from sausage.
- Add garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley & Parmesan.
- Cook for 2 min. more, stirring.
- Cool stuffing to room temperature.
- Brush underside of each mushroom with some olive oil.
- Divide stuffing among the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of shredded mozzarella over each mushroom.
- Put mushrooms on a lightly oiled sheet pan.
- Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for about 15 min., or until cheese topping has melted.
- Mushrooms can be prepped ahead & held for 2 hrs. and baked to order.
- Serve with a side salad drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.