Maccheroni al Forno (Baked Macaroni & Cheese)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cavatappi or rotini pasta
- ¼ pound shredded provolone cheese (about 1 cup)
- ¼ pound grated Asiago cheese (about 1 cup)
- ¼ pound shredded mozzarella (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Make the bechamel sauce.
- In a heavy saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a steady stream, whisking steadily, and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the mustard, cayenne, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Whisking the sauce, simmer until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water.
- When it is al dente, drain it well.
- Set aside.
- Butter a 4-quart baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir and combine the béchamel sauce, the pasta, provolone, asiago and mozzarella.
- Transfer the mixture to the buttered baking pan.
- Smooth off the top.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs and oregano.
- Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the pasta.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.