Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 2 pounds lean ground lamb
- 1 minced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large can diced tomatoes in puree
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 stick butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place onion, garlic and lamb in a saucepan then cook for 4 to 5 minutes until browned.
- Add tomatoes in puree, wine, parsley, thyme, salt an pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry sliced eggplant in batches in the oil for 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring continuously until thick and smooth.
- Add salt and pepper and half the cheese.
- Lay ⅓ of the eggplant in an oven-proof casserole and spoon over ½ the meat mixture.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of eggplant.
- Spoon the white sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.