Eggplant Parmigiana Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), washed and sliced into rounds about ⅛ inch thick
- 1 cup tomato purée or pizza sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella or 50/50 blend
- Put the eggplant slices on a baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil.
- Broil or bake until the eggplant takes on some color and is just cooked through.
- Combine the tomato purée, garlic, oregano, basil and olive oil. Salt, to taste.
- Spread the sauce over the crust.
- Arrange the eggplant slices over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on the grated Romano cheese, followed by the mozzarella.
- Chef's tip: If you use small, firm eggplant, those without a lot of seeds, you don’t need to salt and press the eggplant slices to rid it of bitterness that is common to some eggplant.