Author: Pizza Today
- 3 cups of 2- or 3-day old Italian bread, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 pounds (8-10) very ripe Roma or plum tomatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup cucumber in small pieces
- 1 cup drained canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 -10 leaves fresh basil, torn
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4-5 grinds black pepper
- Soak the bread in a bowl of cold water for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the bowl and squeeze it well with your hands.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the bread, capers, onion, celery, cucumbers and chick-peas. Set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the parsley, garlic, oregano and vinegar.
- Pulse the machine two or three times to combine.
- With the machine running, add the olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, add the basil, and toss well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the salad to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.