Creamy Meat Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- ½ cup olive oil
- 12 ounces minced onions
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 pounds coarsely ground lean chuck
- 5 pounds ground pork or veal, or Italian sausage meat*
- 3 quarts tomato purée
- 1 quart beef stock
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh thyme
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 to 4 pints whipping cream
- *Optional; substitute ground beef, if preferred.
- Heat olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic; sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add ground meats; cook and stir until meat is lightly browned (do not overcook).
- Stir in tomato purée, beef stock, tomato paste, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently.
- Skim occasionally to degrease, if necessary.
- Continue simmering 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Heat whipping cream before blending into cooked sauce.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Gently reheat and hold on hot line.