Italian Meat Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
Serves: 10 quarts (about 60 servings)
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 quart finely chopped onions
- 1 quart finely chopped celery
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 pounds coarsely ground meat (combination of beef, veal, pork)
- 2-1/4 quarts beef stock
- 1 No. 10 can crushed plum tomatoes (or ground Italian tomatoes)
- 1 No. 10 can tomato puree
- 1 No. 2-1/2 can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 ounce sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil.
- Add onions, celery & garlic; saute until onions are translucent.
- Add ground meat.
- Braise over low heat until lightly browned (do not overcook).
- Stir in beef stock plum tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato paste, basil, thyme, oregano, bay leaves & sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently.
- Skim occasionally to degrease, if necessary.
- Continue simmering 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. If necessary, sauce can be thickened with a little cornstarch blended in water.