Jalapeño BBQ Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Sauces
- ½ cup cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard (we like stone-ground)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 8 ounces butter, cut into bits
- 2 cups tomato sauce (your choice)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 4 fresh, finely sliced jalapeños
- ¼-½ teaspoon (to taste) hot sauce
- ½ tablespoon roasted garlic
- In a 2-quart saucepan combine the vinegar, brown sugar, honey, garlic, mustard, ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper, onion and butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and continue to simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke and continue simmering 15 minutes longer.
- Add the jalapenos and hot sauce and continue simmering for 5 more minutes.
- Let the sauce cool completely before adding it to pizzas.