Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms, cleaned & sliced thin
- ¾ cup dry Marsala
- 4 cups canned plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy 3-quart pot set over medium heat.
- Add the onion & saute until softened, about 2 min.
- Add the garlic & cook & stir for another 2 min.
- Add the mushrooms & cook until the give off moisture & start to brown (lightly).
- Add the Marsala, bring to a boil & simmer until he alcohol has been boiled off.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano & basil. Simmer the sauce for 45 min. to an hour.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 min. before using if it has been refrigerated.