Sicilian Pasta Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage with fennel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups canned plum tomatoes with juices
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound rigatoni
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- Remove & discard casing from sausage.
- Warm the olive oil for one minute in a large saute pan set over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage (breaking it up with a fork or spoon) and the ground beef.
- Cook & stir for 6 to 8 minutes until the meats are no longer pink.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano and pepper flakes.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the sauce for an hour or more until it has reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water 9that has been salted) until al dente (about 14 minutes for large rigatoni).
- Drain well.
- Divide the pasta among six heated pasta bowls.
- Spoon some of the sauce over each portion.
- Sprinkle a portion of the romano cheese over each serving.
- Chef's notes: sauce can be made ahead. Cool slightly before covering and refrigerating Cooled sauce ma then be used on pizza. Spread a small amount of the sauce over a pizza shell. Top with grated romano or a blend of mozzarella and provolone. Bake as you would any other pizza.