Courtesy of Pedro Arreaza, market sous chef at FarmTable Kitchen
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 6.99 pounds mozzarella curd
- 6 ounces kosher salt
- 44.09 pounds water
- In a large pot, bring water to boil.
- Run cheese curd through chitarra, making sure cuts are even. Add salt. Spread throughout curd.
- Add boiling water to curd. Use a mixing paddle to work curd.
- Make sure curd is constantly moving, using a spoon to stir while stretching curd above the bowl with your other hand.
- As soon as water doesn’t feel very hot, dispense with about half of the water, adding new boiling water to the bowl.
- Repeat process. Stretch curd as high as you can. Curd will become bubbly, silky and smooth.
- (Another step of boiling water may be needed.)
- Shape cheese in to ½-pound balls. Once formed into balls (or log) shock it with a briny ice bath and store with leftover liquid.