Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 portobello mushrooms (1½ pounds)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into strips
- 1 pound penne pasta, cooked al dente
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- For the sauce -- Stir together white wine, lemon juice, garlic and butter in a sauté pan on medium heat.
- Bring white-wine mixture to boil.
- Add penne to and toss to heat through.
- Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and return to boil.
- Keep hot over very low heat while you finish mushrooms and cheese.
- For the mushrooms -- Remove stem and scrape away gills from the mushroom cap.
- Discard stem and gills.
- Brush both sides of mushroom cap with olive oil.
- Broil for 2 minutes a side, or until just cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Diagonally slice cap into thick slices.
- Spread mushroom pieces on broiler pan and top with mozzarella slices.
- Broil again for 30 seconds.
- For service -- Toss pasta, then place cheese covered mushrooms atop.
- Garnish with parsley.