Fans Unite Around Pizza as the Real Crowd Pleaser
Washington, D.C., February 2, 2018 – Americans frequently turn to pizza for celebratory occasions and Super Bowl Sunday is no exception – last year, an estimated 12.5 million pizzas were sold. According to the American Pizza Community (APC), a coalition which represents the community of 75,000 pizzerias around the country, Super Bowl Sunday showcases why pizza is beloved by so many Americans – it is customizable, crowd pleasing and convenient.
Pizza operators around the country are counting on this year’s big game to be no different than previous years and have been preparing to tackle the big rush coming this weekend. Consider some pizza stats by several APC members:
Pizza Hut said they will give its Hut Rewards members a free medium two-topping pizza starting February 8 if the record for the fastest touchdown at a Super Bowl is broken this Sunday.
- Hungry Howie’s, 550 locations in 21 states, predicts that they’ll sell 300,000 pizzas on Super Bowl Sunday – 40,000 more than they would on a typical Sunday.
- Domino’s sells more than 11 million slices on Super Bowl Sunday.
- The day of the Big Game is the highest tipping day of the year.
- Most popular pizza topping is pepperoni.
- Peak ordering time is exactly one hour before kickoff.
- More than 50 percent of orders come via digital channels.
- 94 percent of Americans eat pizza at least once a month.
- Average American eats about 46 slices a year.
- There are 34 million ways to order a pizza.
To ensure that your game day party scores big, here are a few helpful hints:
- Check for promotions ahead of time. Many pizza stores are offering game-day specials. Check them out ahead of time, as these may be quicker for the pizza stores to make than customized orders.
- Order online! Nearly all pizza stores offer online ordering or have mobile apps to track your order; and with phone lines likely to be busier than usual, placing an online order may save time.
- See if your pizza store allows timed orders. Scheduling your order for a specific time is another convenience offered by many pizza companies, especially those who offer digital ordering platforms. The busiest time to order is one hour before kick-off!
- Choose carry-out as an option. If you’re planning to order pizza before the tip-off, choose carry out as an option.
The American Pizza Community is a coalition of the nation’s large and small pizza companies, operators, franchisees, vendors, suppliers and other entities that make up the American pizza industry.
Current members include Domino’s Pizza, Figaro’s Italian Pizza, Godfather’s Pizza, Hungry Howie’s, Hunt Brothers Pizza, the International Pizza Hut Franchise Holders Association, Little Caesars, Nick-N-Willy’s Pizza, Pizza Factory, and Pizza Schmizza. Supplier partners include Coca-Cola, Leprino Foods Company, Middleby Marshall, Paradise Tomato Kitchens, PepsiCo and Tyson Foods. Affiliate partners include the National Pork Producers Council and the Tomato Products Wellness Council. www.AmericanPizzaCommunity.com
September 19, 2018 | Videos
September 18, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
America’s Favorite Pizza Topping Has its Day National Pepperoni Pizza Day is Thursday, September 20. Let’s celebrate a beloved pizza topping that has reign supreme for the past several decades. What’s in pepperoni? Typically cured pork and beef seasoned with paprika, other chili pepper, anise, garlic, salt and sugar. The Look Standard size, thin-sliced Large… Read More ›
September 17, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Educational program kicks off Pizza & Pasta Northeast before show floor opens We are a few weeks away from Pizza & Pasta Northeast in Atlantic City. It’s time to start planning your schedule. The Exhibit Hall opens at 11 a.m. on both days of the show, Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 3 – 4. But opportunities… Read More ›