When it comes to vegan menus, one of the worst things you can do is promote an item as vegan when it’s not. There are thousands of online talkbacks calling out restaurants trying to pass off items as vegan. The vegan diet is very specific — no food (such as meat, eggs, or dairy products) that comes from animals. That includes animal by-products
Before you launch a vegan menu or classify an item as vegan, analyze every ingredient. Here are some ingredients that are surprisingly not vegan:
- Worchestershire sauce, Caesar dressing and olive tapenade contain anchovies.
- Honey (though, this one is debated among vegans) — offer it as an add-on ingredient
- Marshmallow, jelly and jello contain gelatin from boiling of animal skin, cartilage and bone.
- Chocolate is typically processed with milk products such as whey or casein (dark chocolate is usually vegan)
- Traditional pesto contains Parmesan
- Pastas often contain egg
- Many seasoned potato chips may have traces of animal and milk products
- Battered deep-fried foods are made with egg
- Veggie burgers (many veggie burgers are made with egg/milk products)
- Some breads contain egg
There are many ingredients derived from animal products that most people are unaware of, like additives, carmine, shellac, Vitamin D3 and Omega-3. Many offer a vegan alternative.
If you don’t know whether an ingredient is vegan or not, consult your local vegan resources.
May 22, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Game On! Caputo Cup at a Glance For the second year in a row, contestants will vie for the coveted Caputo Cup and the 2018 Pasta Showdown at the Pizza & Pasta Northeast (PPNE) show in Atlantic City this October. The Caputo Cup pizza challenge had been held independently before partnering with PPNE, owned and… Read More ›
May 21, 2018 | Videos
The Pizza Today team made the The Big Southwest Beef and Corn Pie with Pepper Jack Recipe by John Gutekanst in our test kitchen. The pizza features bechamel, a mix of fior di mozzarella and pepper jack, Southwest-seasoned beef, corn, cilantro and crushed tortilla chips. Get the recipe now. Watch a quick how-to video: Read More ›
Look for Signs that Event Planning May Go Awry Pizza festivals in U.S. and U.K. have experienced major issues in the past month. Whether it’s logistical problems or running out of pizza, some pizza-specific festivals just don’t deliver. Albuquerque’s Viva Pizza Fest failed to hit the mark of its anticipated 30+ pizza vendors, which caused… Read More ›