When it comes to vegan menus, one of the worst things you can do is promote an item as vegan when it’s not. There are thousands of online talkbacks calling out restaurants trying to pass off items as vegan. The vegan diet is very specific — no food (such as meat, eggs, or dairy products) that comes from animals. That includes animal by-products
Before you launch a vegan menu or classify an item as vegan, analyze every ingredient. Here are some ingredients that are surprisingly not vegan:
- Worchestershire sauce, Caesar dressing and olive tapenade contain anchovies.
- Honey (though, this one is debated among vegans) — offer it as an add-on ingredient
- Marshmallow, jelly and jello contain gelatin from boiling of animal skin, cartilage and bone.
- Chocolate is typically processed with milk products such as whey or casein (dark chocolate is usually vegan)
- Traditional pesto contains Parmesan
- Pastas often contain egg
- Many seasoned potato chips may have traces of animal and milk products
- Battered deep-fried foods are made with egg
- Veggie burgers (many veggie burgers are made with egg/milk products)
- Some breads contain egg
There are many ingredients derived from animal products that most people are unaware of, like additives, carmine, shellac, Vitamin D3 and Omega-3. Many offer a vegan alternative.
If you don’t know whether an ingredient is vegan or not, consult your local vegan resources.
August 14, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
A dog-friendly patio is more than a checkbox I take my hound dog everywhere. At least once a week or so, you can find me and my Beagle having dinner at one of Louisville’s dog-friendly patios. In fact, I keep a running list of the best patios with the best food and craft beer. After… Read More ›
August 9, 2018 | Videos
New Port Richey, FL. – August 9, 2018 – Welbilt, Inc. (NYSE:WBT), announced today that Hubertus M. Mühlhäuser is resigning as a Director, President and CEO of Welbilt, effective August 31, 2018, to become the Chief Executive Officer and a Director of CNH Industrial N.V. (NYSE:CNHI), a $27 billion global manufacturer of capital goods comprising… Read More ›