When it comes to vegan menus, one of the worst things you can do is promote an item as vegan when it’s not. There are thousands of online talkbacks calling out restaurants trying to pass off items as vegan. The vegan diet is very specific — no food (such as meat, eggs, or dairy products) that comes from animals. That includes animal by-products
Before you launch a vegan menu or classify an item as vegan, analyze every ingredient. Here are some ingredients that are surprisingly not vegan:
- Worchestershire sauce, Caesar dressing and olive tapenade contain anchovies.
- Honey (though, this one is debated among vegans) — offer it as an add-on ingredient
- Marshmallow, jelly and jello contain gelatin from boiling of animal skin, cartilage and bone.
- Chocolate is typically processed with milk products such as whey or casein (dark chocolate is usually vegan)
- Traditional pesto contains Parmesan
- Pastas often contain egg
- Many seasoned potato chips may have traces of animal and milk products
- Battered deep-fried foods are made with egg
- Veggie burgers (many veggie burgers are made with egg/milk products)
- Some breads contain egg
There are many ingredients derived from animal products that most people are unaware of, like additives, carmine, shellac, Vitamin D3 and Omega-3. Many offer a vegan alternative.
If you don’t know whether an ingredient is vegan or not, consult your local vegan resources.
March 21, 2018 | Pizza Expo News
So much happens on Wednesday at International Pizza Expo. The show floor was a buzz with pizzeria operators learning all about the latest trends, products, technology and ingredients. Our first-ever Young Entrepreneur of the Year has been named. Congratulations to Sammy Mandell of Greenville Avenue Pizza Company in Dallas, Texas. Sammy; Christal Spata of Valeo’s… Read More ›
March 20, 2018 | Pizza Expo News
Tuesday at International Pizza Expo is in the books with record attendance in the exhibit hall and seminar rooms. Before we share the daily results from the International Pizza Challenge, let’s take a look at the show in pictures: International Pizza Challenge Prelims and Pizza Napoletana Finals Traditional Division Peter Agourias, Vi Pizza… Read More ›
March 19, 2018 | Pizza Expo News
Monday afternoon at Pizza Expo is all about launching a pizzeria and growing an existing one. The seminar rooms were standing room only as pizzeria operators and industry experts sounded off on essential pizzeria business topics from menu creativity, pizza dough and ingredients to operational systems and employee hiring. We’ve collected few quotes from the… Read More ›