There is no meat on the premise of Pizza Head, a vegetarian pizzeria in St. Louis. The slice shop has established itself as a vegan pizza destination. Owner Scott Sandler offers some do’s and don’t:
- If you’re going do a vegan menu, don’t have it as an afterthought.
- Somebody that’s doing it should know the difference between vegetarianism and veganism.
- If you can’t put the time and energy into creating really interesting options, (bagged shredded vegan cheese) is a decent option because that will bring you more customers.
- Charge for it. If you’re making cashew cheese, cashews and olive oil are your main costs. So I’m charging for the cashews and I’m charging for the pepperoni I’m buying retail.
- Animal byproducts — It’s not a perfect science. You just have to look at the labels.
- (Eliminate cross contamination.) Make sure that someone doesn’t accidentally get a piece of meat or cheese on their pizza.
- It does come down to economics and market. What do you want to do? Who are you marketing to? Where are you located?
May 22, 2018 | Pizza Headlines
Game On! Caputo Cup at a Glance For the second year in a row, contestants will vie for the coveted Caputo Cup and the 2018 Pasta Showdown at the Pizza & Pasta Northeast (PPNE) show in Atlantic City this October. The Caputo Cup pizza challenge had been held independently before partnering with PPNE, owned and… Read More ›
May 21, 2018 | Videos
The Pizza Today team made the The Big Southwest Beef and Corn Pie with Pepper Jack Recipe by John Gutekanst in our test kitchen. The pizza features bechamel, a mix of fior di mozzarella and pepper jack, Southwest-seasoned beef, corn, cilantro and crushed tortilla chips. Get the recipe now. Watch a quick how-to video: Read More ›
Look for Signs that Event Planning May Go Awry Pizza festivals in U.S. and U.K. have experienced major issues in the past month. Whether it’s logistical problems or running out of pizza, some pizza-specific festivals just don’t deliver. Albuquerque’s Viva Pizza Fest failed to hit the mark of its anticipated 30+ pizza vendors, which caused… Read More ›