Avalanche Chipotle Blue(berry) Balls
Author: John Gutekanst
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion rough-diced
- 1 can of chipoltle peppers in adobo
- (usually found in a 7-ounce can)
- 5 strips of thick-cut bacon cut into small squares (7-8 ounces)
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1 pound of ground pork
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon powdered cumin
- 2 eggs
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Open the chipotle pepper can and pull out 8 to 10 chipotle peppers and smash between your fingers before adding the onion mix.
- Stirring well, incorporate the diced bacon pieces and sauté for another 8 minutes to meld flavors then add the blueberries and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool letting the blueberries rehydrate.
- Put all other ingredients into a food processor and add the cooled chipotle-blueberry mix.
- Pulse in short bursts 10 times to incorporate.
- Place in a bag and hold overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F.
- Form 1-inch meatballs and place on an oiled tray.
- Place in the oven turning after 5 minutes. Cook for an additional 4 to 7 minutes until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees. The meatballs should be firm to the touch.