Drunken Shredded Beef
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 15 pounds pot roast-chuck or bottom-round
- 2 pounds onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 #10 cans ground tomatoes
- 1 cup garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2-12 ounces cans or bottle of beer at room temperature (or more if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly oil 2 sheet pans and spread the meat out in a single layer.
- Roast the meat, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes, or until it browns on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large (24-inch) rondo (or other large low pan).
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, for approximately 15-25 minutes, or until lightly colored and tender.
- Add the meat, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, paprika, salt, pepper, and beer.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring from time to time, for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- The meat should shred easily. Note: To prevent dryness, add more beer while cooking if the fluid reduces too much.
- Cool the meat until it can b easily be handled to shred.
- Topping suggestion: Mozzarella, Drunken Shredded Beef, garnished with shredded cheddar and chopped scallions after baking.