Grissini ai Finocchio (Fennel Breadsticks)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 1 ¼ ounces package active dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water
- ½ cup of warm beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 4 cups flour
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Add the warm beer and sugar and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the salt and stir to dissolve.
- Add the olive oil and fennel seed and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the flour to make a dough that is soft and easy to handle.
- Turn the dough out into a lightly floured surface and knead for 6-7 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and turn twice to coat.
- Cover and let rise for 1 ½ hours until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down the dough.
- Pinch of small pieces of dough (about one ounce) and roll by hand into 12-14-inch long strands about the thickness of a pencil.
- Length and thickness can be varied as desired.
- Place the breadsticks ½ inch apart on a lightly oiled large flat pizz pan or baking sheets.
- Cover with plastic wrap or towels and let rise for 30 minutes
- Bake the breadsticks in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until evenly browned.
- Note: recipe can be doubled
- Variations: brush the bread sticks with olive oil and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese just before baking.