Meatballs Mia Madre
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 10 pounds ground beef
- 2pounds ground pork
- ¼ cup finely minced fresh garlic
- 4 medium finely chopped onions
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped fresh parsley
- 5 cups bread (torn from day-old Italian bread, soaked in milk and squeezed dry)
- 8 lightly beaten eggs
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 teaspoons dried, crumbled oregano
- Combine all the ingredients in the order listed.
- Mix by hand or with a mixer thoroughly and form into meatballs (size of your choice) by rolling the meat between the palms of your hands (lightly wetting the palms with cold water prevents the meat from sticking to your hangs). Also, an ice cream scoop is an effective tool for forming meatballs.
- There are two basic methods for cooking the meatballs: One- Put a thin film of cooking oil in a large braising pan. Sauté the meatballs in batched until they are cooked through, turning them frequently to brown evenly. Two- Fit a sheet pan with some type of draining device (pizza screens work nicely) to keep the meatballs from cooking in their own fat.
- Space the meatballs about ½ inch apart on the screen.
- Cook the meatballs in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until cooled.