Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 10 large, halved, cored, and seeded plum tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs made from day-old Italian bread
- 1 peeled clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay the tomato halves, hollow side up, on a shallow baking pan or pizza pan.
- Put the basil, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano and thyme in a food processor or blender.
- With the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream.
- Distribute the herb stuffing among the tomato halves.
- Top each tomato with some of the Parmesan cheese, dividing it evenly.
- Bake until the tops are lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Let the tomatoes rest out of the oven for 30 minutes before serving.