Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Chorizo, Bacon & Bell Peppers
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 6 portobello mushrooms, stemmed, tops brushed clean, set aside
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1½ pounds chorizo sausage, crumbled
- ¼ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 strips of Applewood smoked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella
- In a large sauté pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, sausage and bell pepper. Cook and stir until pink is gone from sausage.
- Add garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley and Parmesan. Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring.
- Cool stuffing to room temperature.
- Brush underside of each mushroom with some olive oil.
- Divide stuffing among the mushrooms.
- Add the bacon, dividing evenly among the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of shredded mozzarella over each mushroom.
- Put mushrooms on a lightly oiled sheet pan and bake in a preheated 400 F oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese topping has melted.