Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 16 large mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage*
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- *Pre-cooked sausage chunks can be substituted.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and trim.
- Finely chop the stems and saute in butter in a large heavy skillet with garlic until mushrooms are wilted, about 3 min.
- Add sausage & cook, stirring, until just cooked through (do not over-brown).
- Stir in remaining ingredients, mix well; taste to adjust the seasoning.
- Allow sausage mixture to cool for 5 min. (can be prepped up to this point & held).
- To order: Stuff each mushroom cap (mound the filling a bit) with about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle a small amount of the mozzarella over the stuffing.
- Bake in hot oven at 400 to 450 F about 5 min.
- Or place the mushroom under the broiler until the cheese is melted and drapes over the side of the mushroom.