Stuffed Poblano Pepper Twinkies
Author: Brad Rocco / Bexley Pizza Plus
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 6 Poblano peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 12 ounces pork shoulder, hickory smoked and pulled
- 6 ounces cream cheese, whipped
- 2 whole kale leaves, flash-fried and crumbled
- 12 pieces applewood smoked bacon
- 12 strands of chives, chopped
- 2 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1 ounce barbecue sauce
- 1 ounce ancho chili rub (ancho, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, seat salt and white pepper)
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil, lemon infused
- In a large bowl, combine pulled pork, cream cheese, flash-fried kale, chopped cilantro and chopped chives.
- Add salt and pepper, mix well by hand and fill each poblano pepper half with the mixture.
- Lightly drizzle with lemon-infused EVOO.
- Wrap each pepper with one piece of bacon and lightly sprinkle with ancho chili rub.
- Smoking these peppers is the preferred way to cook them. However, they can be baked in an oven as well. Smoke at 275 F for 1¼ hours or until bacon is crisp. Do not move them until they are done.
- Baste with barbecue sauce for final 15 minutes.
- After they are removed from the smoker, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.