Lemon & Pistachio Semifreddo
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 whole egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- ¾ cup chopped unsalted pistachios
- Sliced fresh strawberries for garnish
- Line a metal loaf pan that is 9 x 5 x 3 inches deep with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang of about 2 inches all around.
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, beat the 4 egg yolks and the one whole egg until light and fluffy.
- Add ¼ cup of the sugar and the fresh lemon juice and beat to combine.
- Continue beating until the custard is light and fluffy (about 5 minutes) and tripled in volume.
- Set aside to cool (can be refrigerated).
- This is the custard part. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they are frothy.
- Add the ¼ cup of sugar, a little at a time, and beat the whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- This is the meringue part. In another bowl, beat the whipping cream with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar until it holds stiff peaks.
- This is the cream part. Fold the whipping cream into the egg whites (meringue).
- Add the pistachios to the cream and meringue mixture to combine.
- Fold the cooled custard mixture into the cream and meringue mixture.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Fold the plastic wrap over the top to cover completely.
- Put the pan in the freezer overnight.
- To serve, unmold the semifreddo onto a serving dish.
- Slice to order.
- Serve on chilled plates.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and additional chopped pistachios.