Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8 ounces espresso or strong black coffee, cooled
- 4 egg yolks (extra large)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry Marsala
- ½ pound mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 24 ladyfingers
- In the top section of a double boiler, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until lemony.
- Set the top of the double boiler over the lower section holding the water, but do not allow the top part to touch the water.
- Over medium-high heat, beat the egg mixture with a whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Add the Marsala wine and continue to whip the mixture for another minute. The zabione should be somewhat fluffy and thick. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whip the mascarpone until it is creamy-smooth. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until it starts to thicken.
- Add the sugar and continue to whip until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone. Then fold in the zabione.
- Dip 12 ladyfingers into the espresso and arrange them in the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan that is 2 inches deep.
- Spread half the cream and cheese mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Dip the remaining 12 ladyfingers into the espresso and add another.
- Press each ladyfinger gently into the cream and cheese mixture.
- Spread on the remaining cream and cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 12 hours before cutting and serving.