Egg Poached in Red Sauce
Courtesy of William Manzo, Jr. Federal Hill Pizza, Warren, RI
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 8 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 ounce fresh basil
- 1 large egg
- 3 ounces pancetta
- 1½ ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1 thick slice of rustic focaccia bread
- Place 1 ounce of extra virgin olive oil in sauté pan.
- Heat the pan and then place finely cut pancetta in the pan.
- Reduce down until the pancetta is cooked lightly (not as well done as American bacon).
- Place red sauce in pan after pancetta is complete.
- Cook red sauce for 4 minutes at medium heat.
- When the red sauce is lightly bubbling, crack the egg open and place it in the middle of the red sauce so that the red sauce is actually poaching the egg.
- When the egg is cooked, pour the red sauce and egg onto the focaccia bread, drizzle the remainder of the olive oil over the egg/sauce combination and place fresh cut basil on top.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino-Romano cheese.