Mac and Cheese Crabcakes
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Entree
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 cup pre-cooked mac and cheese
- 3 tablespoons aged white cheddar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chive
- ½ tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 4 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- Using two bowls, put the crab meat into the first.
- Partially strain the wet juices from the mac and cheese and put that into the second bowl.
- Crack the egg and mix with the mac and cheese mix, add all the other ingredients into the cheese bowl and gently mix.
- Gently fold in the crab meat and let the mix sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Place 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- Form each cake into the size of the palm of your hand and gently squeeze, flattening a little.
- Press the sides in to form edges.
- Gently place the cake in the pan and flatten just a bit more. Some chunks may fall off the edges so you’ll have to push them back into the cake.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until just golden brown.
- Turn the cake over and cook for an additional 2 minutes until the cheese is just melting and the outside is browned.
- Serve with sliced lemon, cole slaw, potato salad and tartar sauce.