Mac and Cheese
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- ½ gallon half and half
- 1 pound butter
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 pounds cheddar cheese (use sharp cheddar for a kick, or add some Parmesan cheese)
- 3 pounds pasta (elbow macaroni or small shells)
- Heat half & half and butter.
- Add to it a couple of tablespoons of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and a tablespoon of granular garlic.
- Boil your favorite pasta (many folks use elbows, or small shells) in salted water until fully (not overly) cooked.
- When you make your pasta “al dente” for mac ‘n’ cheese, the pasta will drink up the sauce, creating a dryer product than you intended.
- Once it’s done, drain the pasta, put it in a mixing bowl and add the hot cream and butter.
- Immediately add 2 pounds of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Use a sharper cheese depending on your liking.
- If the cheddar doesn’t give a sharp enough taste, add some Parmesan cheese to it, which gives it a wonderful enhancement.
- This can be served just like that once it’s mixed enough, or you can bake it with or without some extra cheese on top. If you want this to be a bit custard-like, add about 6 eggs before you bake it, and then toss it in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes.