Pasquale's Mac & Cheese
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1½ teaspoons dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound cavatappi
- ¼ pound each of shredded provolone Asiago and mozzarella (about 1 cup of each cheese)
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (or Panko)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking, for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a steady stream, whisking steadily, and bring to a boil.
- Add the mustard, cayenne and salt.
- Whisk to combine.
- Simmer the sauce until it thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until it is still a bit short of al dente (firm actually).
- Drain well. Butter in shallow 3- to 4-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl stir together the cooked pasta, the white sauce, provolone, Asiago and mozzarlla.
- Transfer the mixture to the buttered bakin gdish.
- Smooth off the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, breadcrumbs and oregano.
- Layer this mixture evenly over the pasta.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubblig.
- COOK'S NOTE: Instead of baking th mac 'n' cheese in one large baking dish, you can portion (befoe baking) individual servings in smaller baking dishes. Top with the panko or bread crumbs and bake. Reheat to order.