Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 2 cups pesto
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 quart unseasoned tomato sauce
- 6 (3-3 ½) pound whole chickens, skinned and split
- Salt and pepper
- Mix the pesto, garlic, and tomato sauce in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken, salt and pepper and toss well to coat with sauce.
- Spread the chicken halves out in an even layer on 1 or 2 sheet pans.
- Pour any remaining sauce over the chickens.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the foil and let the chicken cool down before separating the meat from the bones. Save the remaining sauce.
- Chop the meat into0 ½-inch pieces and add back to the remaining sauce.
- Topping suggestion: build a pizza with a tomato and cheese base and top with some pesto chicken, diced fresh (or canned and drained chopped tomatoes) tomatoes, grated parmesan cheese and some toasted pignoli nuts.