Chicken Gumbo Pie
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup green pepper, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup frozen cut okra
- 1 cup chicken broth or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-inch pizza crust
- 1 cup shredded, smoked mozzarella
- Combine ½ cup of the flour, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a plastic, resealable bag.
- Add the cubes of chicken and toss well to coat the chicken thoroughly.
- In a sauté pan set over medium-high heat, warm the oil for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, shaking off the excess flour.
- Cook and stir until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside.
- Drain the pan, but don't wash it.
- Add the green pepper, onion and okra to a pan of boiling, salted water and boil 4 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Set the same pan in which the chicken was cooked back over medium-
- high heat. Add the remaining flour and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to high and add the chicken broth.
- Scrape and stir the pan while reducing the liquid to about ½ cup.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Cook and stir for about 3 minutes or until a smooth, slightly thick paste or roux is formed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the tomato roux evenly over the pizza crust.
- Add the rest.