Clams Casino Pizza
Courtesy of John Gutekanst, Avalanche Pizza, Athens, OH
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 15 fresh (small) littleneck or cherrystone clams
- 10 slices of guanciale, chopped in small dice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 can chopped clams
- 1 can clam juice
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 dried and ground cornicione to crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 ball of burrata
- ½ of a lemon
- Place the clams in a pan with half the clam juice from the can on high heat.
- Cover and cook until the clams just open.
- Take the shells off of 10 of the clams and reserve the five for plating.
- Sauté the guanciale until half cooked and then add the diced red peppers and set aside to cool keeping the pork juice in the pan.
- Sauté shallot and garlic under medium heat until translucent.
- Add chopped clams and oregano to the pan and half of the clam juice.
- Reduce by half under low heat then add the guanciale, pepper, and chopped parsley along with the pizza breadcrumbs and turn off the heat to cool.
- When cool, bang out a pizza crust and sprinkle with Parmesan and the burrata.
- Sprinkle the clam mixture on the pizza and add the 5 unopened clams.
- Cook at high heat until done.
- Spritz with lemon and garnish with lemon.