Prosciutto and Mozzarella Pizza with Caramelized Onions
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
Serves: One Pizza
- Dough ball
- 12 ounces red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces shredded prosciutto (or thinly sliced)
- Freshly chopped thyme for garnish
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until softened.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and garlic.
- Cook until liquid evaporates and onions are caramelized (can be made ahead and held).
- Roll out dough ball.
- Brush shell with remaining olive oil.
- Top with mozzarella cheese, shredded prosciutto, bell pepper and onions.
- Bake until cheese browns.
- Top with fresh thyme and serve immediately.