Spanish Potato Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizzas
- 1 14-inch pizza shell
- ¾ pound new potatoes, peeled, cut into small cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups canned plum tomatoes, drained, crushed by hand, drained again
- 1 cup roasted red bell pepper, cut into strips
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces shredded Asiago or fontina cheese
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until barely tender (about 8 minutes).
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to high and cook the mixture, stirring, until it is reduced to about 11/2 cups.
- Cool before using (this part can be prepped several days ahead and kept covered and chilled).
- Spread the tomato mixture evenly over the crust.
- Arrange the cooked potatoes over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on the cheese.